The Temple of Dakka

Details :

Temple of Dakka, dedicated to Thoth, the god of wisdom in the ancient Egyptian pantheon. The temple was initially a small one-room shrine or chapel, first begun in the 3rd century BC by a Meroitic king named Arqamani .Ptolemy IX"subsequently enlarged the temple by adding a pronaos with two rows of probably three columns.During the Roman period, the Emperors Augustus and Tiberius further enlarged the structure with "the addition, at the rear, of a second sanctuary as well as inner and outer enclosure walls with a large pylon. The Temple of Dakka was transformed into a temple fortress by the Romans and surrounded by a stone wall, 270 by 444 meters long, with an entrance along the Nile.The temple of Dakka collapsed in 1908–1909 and was subsequently rebuilt by Alessandro Barsanti.During the construction of the Aswan dam in the 1960, the temple was dismantled and moved to the site of Wadi es-Sebua.